It’s true… millions of Christians are leaving the church on a search for Jesus. The very place called to represent the Good Shepherd is leaving sheep hungry, lost, and confused. In our very first episode of the Unlearn Church Podcast, Dale Partridge and Matt Jacobson uncover the tragedy of the church and how we can heal it.
John Adams once said, “Facts are stubborn things.” As Christians, we cannot ignore the current facts of the church. 85% of churches are declining or plateauing and 78% of millennials who grew up in the church are leaving. The church as we know it is bleeding and is causing Christians to question if the Sunday show is really what God intended for His holy people.
Powerful Quotes From This Episode:
- “Our mission to bring the church back to the Bible“
- “78% of church members who were raised in the church are leaving by the age of 18.“
- “Thousands of Christians are realizing that what they’re doing isn’t the same as what He’s saying.“
- “We love to be the exception to the statistics and often hear, “Not my church…“
- “In any other context (business or non-profit), the church’s results would not be acceptable.“
- “For the first time in Church history, more people are leaving than coming.“
- “We must be willing ask ourselves, ‘What does the Bible say about the gathering of believers?‘”
- “Many of us want to be Christian without the Bible. We want our sin and Heaven too.“
- “Are you willing to submit your good intentions to the authority of Scripture.“
- “We are not anti-institutional-church we are anti-unbiblical-church.“
- “What you win people with is what you win people to.“
Scripture References From This Episode
- 1 Peter 4:8 “And above all things have fervent love for one another, for “love will cover a multitude of sins.”
- Revelation 19:7-8 “Let us be glad and rejoice and give Him glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and His wife has made herself ready.” And to her it was granted to be arrayed in fine linen, clean and bright, for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints.”
- 1 Timothy 3:14-15 “These things I write to you, though I hope to come to you shortly; 15 but if I am delayed, I write so that you may know how you ought to conduct yourself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.”
- 2 Samuel 6:6-7 “And when they came to Nachon’s threshing floor, Uzzah put out his hand to the ark of God and took hold of it, for the oxen stumbled. Then the anger of the Lord was aroused against Uzzah, and God struck him there for his error; and he died there by the ark of God.”
- Hebrews 13:8 “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.”
Jesus sends out the 70: See Luke 10:1-23
- Genesis 4:4-5 “Abel also brought of the firstborn of his flock and of their fat. And the Lord respected Abel and his offering, but He did not respect Cain and his offering. And Cain was very angry, and his countenance fell.”
- 1 Corinthians 1:17 “For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of no effect.”
Mentioned In This Episode
- Free PDF Microbook: “Called Out” is available on our homepage UnlearnChurch.org
- If you’re ready to plant a biblical house church, consider our Relearn Church program.
Was this podcast helpful? Do you have any questions or comments? If so, let me know in the comments below.