A congregation learns their theology not only by the preaching they hear but by the songs they sing. This is why we Christians must follow Paul’s example in 1 Corinthians 14:15 when he says, “I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding.” Both Jesus and Paul teach Christians that there is a proper way to worship and sing to the Lord; We are to do it in spirit with truth and with understanding. We are not to sing songs to God that we do not understand, because if we do not understand them, how can we determine if they are truthful? In this episode, Dale and Veronica tackle the topic of what today’s culture has identified as “worship music” and how it is teaching false doctrine.
Key Takeaways From This Episode:
- The Bible offers us a model of worship and spiritual song throughout the Scriptures and Jesus even tells us directly how it should be done in the New Testament.
- It is important to be aware of the fact that there is a difference between Christian music and worship music.
- Christian music is music that has to do with any Christian idea or virtue.
- Christian music (not worship music) offers far more capacity and liberty for artistic expression than worship music does.
- The problem lies in the fact that many churches take Christian songs and bring them to a church service to be used as worship music.
- In the Bible, Jesus tells us we don’t get to worship God with our hearts alone; We get to worship God with our hearts (our spirit) in combination with God’s truth.
- Now, remember that Satan was involved, if not the leader, of all music in heaven. This is why we are not to be shocked that the enemy would attack the very thing he was gifted and appointed to do.
- All of Satan’s tactics and strategies can be narrowed down to one objective: Deception. So, what better way to deceive the people of God than by captivating their hearts with a song (that’s beautiful) where they repeat over and over and over ideas that are unbiblical? And he’s not looking for lyrics of blatant heresy, he’s looking lyrics of subtle heresy; music that sounds Christian but when put next to Scripture falls short.
- We must recognize that a worship leader in a church is a teacher; if you bring a song to church you are, in fact, bringing a 3-5 minute teaching.
- Just as a pastor does not and should not take artistic liberty when preaching God’s word, neither should worship leaders. The problem we have is we have allowed the artistic to overshadow the academic in terms of having an understanding of rock-solid theological truth.
- It has become apparent that music is our current-day Trojan horse for the enemy. Satan is getting thousands of churches to buy into the theology of a certain church through their music. For example, Bethel music has many very popular Christian artists on their label. All of a sudden you find your church singing Bethel worship songs and because of this, many just blindly accept Bethel’s overall theology. This has happened with Hillsong and Elevation too. Music is the front door for many deceptive theologies today. It’s a lure that leads to much more than an artistic song. It’s a seducing step to drop your guard to more serious theological errors.
- The bottom line is that the only reason pastors or worship leaders can offer incorrect teachings and songs is because their congregation doesn’t know what correct teaching is. This is a call to not accept teachings that do not glorify God according to Scripture.
- Psalm 96:1 “Oh, sing to the Lord a new song! Sing to the Lord, all the earth.
- Psalm 95:1 “O come, let us sing for joy to the Lord, Let us shout joyfully to the rock of our salvation.”
- Ephesians 5:19 says, “Address one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart,”
- John 4:23-24 Jesus says, “But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. 24 God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”
- 1 Corinthians 14:15, He says, “I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding.”
- Ezekiel 28:13 “You were in Eden, the garden of God; Every precious stone was your covering: The sardius, topaz, and diamond, Beryl, onyx, and jasper, Sapphire, turquoise, and emerald with gold. The workmanship of your timbrels and pipes
was prepared for you on the day you were created.
- 1 Peter 4:11 Says, “If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles (truths) of God. If anyone ministers, let him do it as with the ability which God supplies, that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.”
- Matthew 12: 36-37 “But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. 37 For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”
After watching or listening to this episode, what is your opinion? Do you have any questions or comments? Maybe you have something to add to the discussion? If so, let us know in the comments below.