As culture continues to influence the church more than the church influences the culture, a growing number of Christians are finding themselves adopting the world’s view of sex. Now, most Christians know that premarital sex is sinful, but why? What does the Bible actually say regarding sex before marriage? In this episode, Dale and Veronica look at a variety of Scriptures and put together a basic framework for how the Bible views sex inside and outside of marriage.
Key Takeaways from this Episode
- We are the beneficiaries of God’s commands, not God. These rules in Scripture are to help us not hurt us.
- Sex is actually a form of worship. Are you worshiping pleasure by adhering to your own design for sex or are you worshiping God by adhering to His design for sex?
- God takes sex and sexual immorality very seriously. His word even says that those who practice sexuality outside of His design, will not inherit the kingdom of God.
- God’s will for your life is sexual holiness.
- Pre-martial sex departs from God’s three purposes for sex which are: Reproduction of His image, the strengthening of a marriage bond, and to mirror the utter pleasure we will experience when we as the church are unified with Christ in Heaven.
- Galatians 5:17-25 “For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit.”
- 1 Thessalonians 4:3-8 “For this is the will of God, your sanctification:[a] that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God; that no one transgress and wrong his brother in this matter, because the Lord is an avenger in all these things, as we told you beforehand and solemnly warned you. For God has not called us for impurity, but in holiness. Therefore whoever disregards this, disregards not man but God, who gives his Holy Spirit to you.”
- 1 Corinthians 6:18-20 Paul says, “Flee fornication. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.
After watching or listening to this episode, what’s your opinion? Do you have any questions or comments? Maybe you have something to add to the discussion? If so, let us know in the comments below.