In this episode, we answer two common questions. First, we address the difficulty of maintaining a consistent Bible reading and prayer time. In our over-stimulated lives, this discipline seems to be more and more challenging to Christians of this generation. Next, we tackle the dilemma of Christian singleness. Many Christians desire to be married but are frustrated with the lack of mature Christian options. Together, Dale and Veronica offer their perspective, plus a few tips on how to walk out singleness well.
Questions Answered in this Episode:
- How do I stay focused on building my relationship with God? I find myself being inconsistent in my prayer time and quiet time. Any tips on how I can get better at this?
- I’m so tired of being single and I really want to be married. Any tips on how to deal with this season or end this season?
Key Takeaways from this Episode:
Bible and Prayer Time
- Your flesh is never going to want to be in God’s word or submit yourself to prayer. This will always be a battle in which you must choose to walk in the spirit and, as the Scriptures say, work to not fulfill the desires of the flesh.
- Consistency is key. The Lord meets us each time we are faithful in seeking Him and these moments of unity with the Spirit are so rewarding that we begin to see the value and enjoyment of our fellowship time with God which makes being consistent easier.
- In order to help build consistency, develop a routine: start in prayer, read a chapter a day in a good study Bible, bring a notebook, and ask the Lord to reveal to you His truth.
- When you combine the current feminist movement in our culture with the pornography addiction rates and then add in the issue of adult boyhood, you get mass singleness—in the culture and in the church.
In terms of practical help on this issue, we have a few tips.
- We’re all about online dating. For some reason, Christians are afraid of it but I think if you’re truly longing for someone use every tool available.
- When you go on dates, go with married couples. This will help remove any fear of marriage as you have the opportunity to see it played out in the lives of your married friends.
- Don’t date unless it’s for marriage. You should be able to determine if a person could be your spouse within 2–4 dates.
- Stop basing everything on looks. Looks fade, while character remains. (I’m not saying that you shouldn’t be attracted to your spouse, I’m just saying don’t idolize the physical, focus on the spiritual.)
- Lastly, men, stop being afraid to speak to women and go ask them out on a date!
- Galatians 5:17 “For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.”
- 1 Corinthians 9:27 “But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.”
- Matthew 26:40-41 Jesus says, “Then He came to the disciples and found them sleeping, and said to Peter, “What! Could you not watch with Me one hour? Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”
- Proverbs 8:17 “I love those who love me, and those who seek me diligently find me.”
- How to Find a Godly Man in a Godless World
- Why Praying For The Strength To Quit Pornography Won’t Help You
After watching or listening to this episode, what’s your opinion? Do you have any questions or comments? Maybe you have something to add to the discussion? If so, let us know in the comments below.