If you’ve spent much of your life rooted in institutional Christianity, establishing a biblical church gathering may seem daunting. However, we believe God intended ordinary Christians to be capable of starting scripturally accurate church gatherings. In hopes to promote your confidence and understanding, we’ve attempted to clarify the church planting process below.
What you don’t need:
- A building
- A seminary degree
- A worship band
- A non-profit status
What you do need:
- At least one Christian man called to plant a biblical gathering
- Basic training in the Bible’s instruction on church practice
- Other Christians in-dwelt with the Holy Spirit
- The Bible
Again, while we understand the doctrinal and theological complexities that can arise in the church planting process, we believe the establishment of a church is very simple. Below is a basic structure we’ve adopted from the Scriptures. For a more extensive overview on church structure, see our page “What is biblical church?”
- Every church meets weekly in a home.
- Every church service follows the layout presented in 1 Corinthians 14:26-40
- Children are not sent out of the service but rather sit quietly with their parents
- There are no church salaries. Instead, offerings are given interpersonally to the needs of the members and servants of the church as each person feels led.
- Elders and Overseers (if available) are appointed which meet the qualifications found in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9
- The church multiplies (splits) into another, independent gathering when it becomes too difficult to maintain the rich relational intimacy and fulfill the one-another’s found in Scripture.
Results to Expect:
- Rich, loving, and committed relationships
- Men and women maturing in their understanding and obedience to God’s Word
- Marriages and families that are ordered and fruitful
- Active discipleship between believers
- A community of people centered around the Gospel of Jesus Christ
Bottom line, establishing a biblical church is a pilgrimage. But it’s normal Christian life. If the Lord has given you an apostolic, pastoral, or teaching gifting and a heart dissatisfied with your current church experience, prayerfully consider planting a biblical house church. Furthermore, we also offer a comprehensive church planting workshop available here.